The Mayor of Castro Street: The Life and Times of Harvey Milk (Stonewall Inn Editions)

The Mayor of Castro Street: The Life and Times of Harvey Milk - Randy Shilts 4.5 stars. Oh so close to perfect. Full of strong reporting, both of Milk's life, his time in politics and the city of San Francisco's rise to prominence in the LGBT community, Shilts does a wonderful job of balancing the man Harvey Milk and the icon he became to the movement. As much as I love Gus Van Sant's biopic (it's what spurred me to re-read this book) it doesn't quite capture how multi-faceted a man Milk was. He was media savvy, often hot headed and spontaneous and extremely passionate to the point of pig-headedness. He was also determined, caring and very funny. The movie also captures Harvey's sense of hope that things would get better, something that's particularly poignant in these days of Dan Savage's campaign. Shilts's book is a very accessible read and a must read for anyone interested in politics of LGBTQ movement. It is a very male-centric read though, something that was more evident to me upon re-reading.