The Crucible (Penguin Classics Series)

The Crucible (Penguin Classics Series) - I thouroughly enjoyed the play, although it wasn't quite what I expected. I think the play's more about a broader sense of suspicion and mob mentality than it just being limited to an allegory on McCarthyism, but overall Miller does a wonderful job of showing the tricks and consequences of a little white lie spinning out of control. Abigail is a fascinating character. I didn't feel like the constant narration was particularly useful or necessary. I can understand it from the point of view of his constant interruptions showing the play as a piece of fiction and not completely realistic, something to remind the audience/reader to pay attention to the issues being discussed rather than the more traditional dramatic experience. It's Brecht-lite in a sense (guess which pretentious degree I'm studying for!) but it felt a tad overdone. The play is effective on its own merits and works as a strong, powerful allegory without Miller having to remind us that it is an allegory. It's definitely one of the plays any drama/literature nerd should check out in their lifetime.